Washing your hair may be a daily habit, but many of us may not be aware of the right method to do it. Is your hair becoming dry and brittle after shampooing? For shiny and bouncy hair, you must keep some tips in mind like using sulfate free shampoo. Such a shampoo can retain moisture and essential oils and protect hair color while preventing split ends and breakage.
Here are some other shampooing tips for great looking hair:
- Avoid over washing hair: Majority of customers do not need to wash hair daily. But if you are using the wrong shampoo, you might need a daily wash.
- Apply shampoo only to your scalp and do a gentle massage. To avoid knots, don’t pile up your hair above your head and scrub. Work the shampoo down to your hair ends and do a thorough rinse.
- Do not go the way of repeatedly lathering and rinsing: This may be a marketing ploy by certain brands to make you buy more shampoo.
- For those who like the clean feeling after every wash: Instead of washing hair every day, you can use a, a few times a month. For avoiding loss of moisture and natural oils, use sls free dandruff shampoo
- Curly hair may skip shampooing: Curly hair might use only conditioning and avoid shampooing altogether because it is prone to dryness.
- For itchy scalp after washing hair: For this, avoid applying conditioner to the roots and do it only from midway of the strands. Also, condition till hair ends. Permit it to work slowly and gently before rinsing.
- Hot water and cold water: Begin washing your hair with hot water. It will dislodge the dirt and grime. But end washing with cold water which will close the cuticles and seal in the moisture.
- Avoid brushing wet hair: Do not brush freshly washed hair but use a wide toothed comb to keep it in place.
- Long hair conditioning: If you have long hair, begin washing with conditioning followed by shampooing. This sodium lauryl sulfate will protect hair ends, seal in moisture and leave hair bouncy and shiny.
- Be gentle: Treat your hair delicately while shampooing or else it will become dry and frizzy. Excess friction can cause permanent damage to the cuticles of hair. Use vertical strokes with medium pressure and avoid circular motions that will cause hair to tangle.
- Use the right shampoo: Choose sls and paraben free shampoo suited to your hair type. For dry hair, use moisturising products. If you have colored hair, use products that are color-safe.Volumizing shampoos tend to dry hair. So they are suited for fine types of hair which would not suit moisturising products.
- The period for washing: How often you need to wash also depends on the type of your hair. Oily and fine hair require daily shampooing. For normal hair, a routine of washing three times a week will be sufficient.
- Filter water: quality of hair wash also depends on the type of water. Experts recommend a shower filter which removes minerals and rust from the water, which can dull the color of hair like making blond hair muddy and dark.
These are some tips to remember while washing hair. From avoiding sls free shampoo to being gentle and regular with your hair wash, following these tips can help you have shiny and bouncy hair.